And then two weeks after the operation, everything went horribly wrong. Ziggy caught sepsis and his Hepatic artery thrombosed; we were told he had 48 hours to live unless he got another liver.
It was probably worse than when we first received Ziggy’s diagnosis because we thought we were going forwards and then suddenly we were back down in this huge hole and everything was falling apart. For Colin, who was in a huge amount of pain still, it suddenly felt like he’d done it for no reason and the part of the liver that he donated had been wasted. Emotionally this was torture for us both.
An agonising wait for a new liver
We had to focus on Ziggy and getting him well. He went on the emergency cadaveric transplant list and we waited and we waited. And we suddenly got a phone call, and we were told that someone had very sadly passed away in an accident and a liver had become available that might be appropriate for Ziggy.
By this time Ziggy was very ill. He was fighting sepsis, his blood pressure was through the floor, he was a really poorly, sick little baby.
The first time he had the transplant, he had a 50:50 chance, so the odds this time were incredibly low. But what choice did we have? We were going to lose him either way. So we had to try, didn’t we?